Eating at 7-Eleven Hong Kong

In Hong Kong, you can easily have a cheap, filling meal at the 7-Eleven stores that can be found on almost every street corner. I have eaten all kinds of food there, while I was doing my internship in Hong Kong. This is what happens when you are single and living on your own; you eat at a convenience store, all by yourself. ^_^

The 7-Eleven stores in Hong Kong have a nice range of sandwiches, which can be suitable for a light lunch. I remember having the Teriyaki Chicken sandwich. This sandwich has one slice of rye bread and one slice of white bread, while the other flavors have both white or both rye bread. It looks quite funny, I wonder if this is done that way, because Chinese people are not accustomed to rye bread. They can start eating this sandwich and slowly transition from just eating white bread to eating rye bread. ^_^
The bread is really fresh and the chicken pieces are marinated really well. Together with the crunchy cucumber slices, the flavor does not get too overwhelming. Other sandwich varieties that you can get are: Tuna Fish with Mayonnaise, Tuna Fish & Egg Mayonnaise, Ham & Egg Salad, Chicken & Celery, Ham & Egg, Tomato & Cheese and Egg salad, and Cheese and Ham. I think that the size of this sandwich would be enough for females, but men might think that this is not filling enough.  

My lunch eaten at the office.


In the 7-Eleven store, you can also find a self-serve Slurpee (a crushed ice drink) machine. You can create your own mix of flavors and make colorful layers. For the first time, I forgot to put the lid on the plastic cup and you can already imagine what happened. It got all over my clothes, and the rest of the day, the whole office smelled like cola and grapes (the Slurpee flavors that I choose). I wonder if my colleagues thought that it was my perfume or something that was so sweet ^_^ .


Most 7-Eleven stores also have a Hot Shot corner, where they sell hot food items. Many of these are traditional Hong Kong snack food, such as mini sausages, garlick flavored noodles (lo mein), large Cervelat sausage, pork buns (char siu pau), a bowl of vegetarian broth, Chiu Chow steamed dumplings, and fish dumplings (siu mai). I remember these snacks to be ranging from HK$6-HK$20. All of these are served in a small plastic cup and you can take the eating utensils that you want; spoons, plastic forks and wooden chopsticks. I ordered three of these food items at once and I could not hold all the food, since they gave me three plastic cups. So don't be a glutton like me and just order two items, or order more after finishing the first two snacks. ^_^